JOB TITLE HEAD COUNSELOR
|Setting: Day Camp||Employment Type: Full-Time (Seasonal -Summer)||Reports to: Camp Director and Asst. Director|
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Head Counselors work together to oversee all program activities and the campers and staff they are responsible for. Further duties include activity supervision and working to create amazing special events for the entire camp community.
Being a Head Counselor at SPARK Day Camp is an incredibly rewarding experience for someone whose passion is working with children and helping them grow as they develop new skills, healthy habits and interpersonal opportunities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Related to Activities
- Deliver a fun program to campers.
- Ensure staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures.
- Implements ice-breakers and group-building activities.
Supervising and organizing a team of counselors
- Supervise and evaluate Counselors to develop and implement all facets of camp program activities.
- Meets with staff to provide feedback and review performance, strengths, and areas for improvement.
- Manage any disciplinary issues facing campers or staff.
- Develop and implement schedules and records for all areas of camp program and facilities.
- Schedule periods off, ensuring activities and groups are maintained with adequate coverage.
- Assisting staff with issues they may be facing with campers or themselves.
- Ensure each camper is having a positive experience, with the opportunity to make new friends.
- Pays particular attention to group dynamics and works with staff to solve problems.
- Prepares for the arrival of their group.
At the end of the camp:
- Supervise the packing up of all camp materials & equipment.
- Complete a final inventory.
Other Job Duties:
- Attend administrative staff meetings.
- Maintain clear and positive written and verbal communication with all camp staff.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, providing support and guidance to counselors.
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise special programs, special events and other all-camp activities and functions.
- Provide ongoing program ideas to counseling and activity area staff.
- Perform other duties as they arise, including liaising with parents, attending trips, and helping with any organizational work.
- Assist in leading the camp during the Director’s absence.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- Experience in an administrative or supervisory role in an educational, recreational, or camp setting.
- Experience in the development and delivery of programs and activities.
- Able to perform physical aspects of the position, including:
- Working long hours in an active camp program
- Identify and respond to environmental and other hazards
- Respond appropriately to situations requiring First Aid, and assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury).
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of their group.
- +20 years of age at the start of employment and eligible for work in US
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must pass a background check and provide other forms and details.
- Min. 2 years of college/university
- Certification in First Aid and CPR, or willingness to obtain.
- Desire to work with and inspire campers and staff in a summer camp environment.
SUMMER CAMP EMPLOYMENT DATES:
Orientation and training beginning in June with camp dates from the end of June through middle of August
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position and for more information, please follow this link.
The application period will remain open until the position is filled.
At SPARK Day Camp we collaborate with our campers to create a camp community whose foundation s built on love, Compassion, Joy and Acceptance. We strive to provide a sense of belonging, while encouraging campers to try new things and fuel their growing passions with consistently expanding program areas. Our partnerships with like-minded organizations helps us to foster our campers’ understanding and desire to give back.
OUR CORE VALUES
Care for yourself / care for others / care for the environment / Always be a positive role model. Fun at SPARK Day camp is a given, but we strive for more. The main difference between camp and school is that at SPARK, our campers learn without knowing they’re being taught. Our program was developed with these core values in mind and throughout the summer, our campers and staff exhibit them daily.